Getting Political with Waltham Forest’s New Citizens

Talking to ESOL students

On Friday, I was invited to address a group of ‘ESOL’ (English as a Second Language) students at Waltham Forest College, as part of their British ‘citizenship’ course.

The students had been studying the local elections as part of classes they are taking to learn more about British democracy Continue reading “Getting Political with Waltham Forest’s New Citizens”

A new shop for the Beaumont!

With Harry Cohen MP and shop owners Prem and Bharti

The Beaumont Estate continues to receive attention – but now for all the right reasons.

Yesterday, saw the opening of the Beaumont’s new sweet shop, located at the heart of the estate. For me, the opening marked another important milestone on the Beaumont’s long march back to full regeneration.

Lots of local people came along to say hello to Harry Cohen MP (pictured above left), who was the guest of honour, and celebrate the opening with a glass of champagne.

I express my thanks to owners Prem and Bharti Maisura (pictured with me and Harry above) for hosting such a lovely event.

I wish their new business every success.

Harry Cohen cuts the ribbon

Saying Goodbye to North Leyton Sure Start

Sure Start Mums get together for the last time

Today I attended a party at the Beaumont Estate Community Centre to say goodbye to North Leyton’s Sure Start and to learn more about plans for the new Children’s Centres due to take its place.

Over the past few years, North Leyton Sure Start, based in 803 High Road Leyton, has been an invaluable service for Leyton’s parents and the community as a whole Continue reading “Saying Goodbye to North Leyton Sure Start”

Supporting Our Kreative Culture Klub

Presenting KCK member Natalie with an award

Tonight I attended, and gave a speech at, a brilliant end of term show put on by the kids from the Kreative Culture Klub (KCK).

The Kreative Culture Klub was the brain child of local poet and tireless community activist, Yvonne Bailey. Yvonne works unpaid to support these kids – many of them from deprived backgrounds – to celebrate their talent through song, dance and poetry Continue reading “Supporting Our Kreative Culture Klub”