Leyton’s Street Wardens are the Best in the World!

With Frank, Ebony and Juliet from the Leyton Street Wardens

One of the best things about living in Leyton is our Street Wardens. The street wardens are a team of ten that patrol the area and keep an eye out on what’s going on in the local community. They are extremely popular and a real part of Leyton life. Such was the success of the wardens in Leyton that the scheme has now been rolled out across Waltham Forest borough.

On my way to work the other day, I had the pleasure of bumping into Frank, Ebony and Juliet (pictured with me above) who were on duty outside Leyton tube station.

Ebony (pictured next to me on the left) has been nominated for a National Street Wardens Award. Both local MP Harry Cohen and I have sent letters of support. Continue reading “Leyton’s Street Wardens are the Best in the World!”

Jumpin’ Up! at the Young People’s Caribbean Carnival

Some young revellers

Sunday saw Leyton celebrate the 2006 Young People’s Caribbean Carnival in Marsh Lane fields. On a scorching hot day, people came from all over the borough to check out the colourful costumes, enjoy some soca and calypso music and – this applies to me especially 🙂 – savour a good plate of rice, peas and chicken. Continue reading “Jumpin’ Up! at the Young People’s Caribbean Carnival”

Calling for a Truce

The Truce Crew rap words of peace

On Friday, I cycled down to the playground on Oliver Rd in my ward, opposite the famous Leyton Orient Football club, to see New York youth collective ‘Truce’ bring their message of peace to Waltham Forest, through rap and song.

Truce is a Christian oriented group led by former US gang members, which tries to steer young people from criminality and gang related activity.

This month, Truce is touring all over East London, performing rap and R n B tunes that preach messages of peace, with the aim being to convince our young people, once and for all, that crime just doesn’t pay Continue reading “Calling for a Truce”

It’s Goodbye Church Mead – and Hello Willow Brook!

With Head Teacher Joe Murray, Cllr Midge Broadley and Mr Colin Broadley, Chair of Governors

Last Saturday, on my 28th birthday (I know, I still can’t believe I’m 28 either!), I spent the afternoon in the company of parents, pupils, teachers and fellow councillors, saying goodbye to Church Mead primary school and welcoming in its succesor, Willow Brook Continue reading “It’s Goodbye Church Mead – and Hello Willow Brook!”