Leyton’s Cinderellas Shall Go to the Ball!

Mum and Mrs Lewis get on down

A massive, massive thank you to Team Leyton, the organisation charged with administrating Leyton’s ‘neighbourhood renewal’ funding, for organising the best ball I’ve ever been to.

On Friday night, Leyton ward’s residents got glammed up for a night on the tiles at the Score Building in Oliver Rd Continue reading “Leyton’s Cinderellas Shall Go to the Ball!”

Welcoming Sybourn’s New Children’s Centre

Leyton families enjoy Sybourn's new Children's Centre

A few days before rushing up to Manchester, for this year’s Labour Party Conference, I celebrated the opening of the first of North Leyton’s two new children’s centres, based at Sybourn School. I will be representing Waltham Forest Council on the Sybourn children centre’s new board. Continue reading “Welcoming Sybourn’s New Children’s Centre”

It’s Official: They really are the best in the world!

With Frank, Ebony and Juliet from the Leyton Street Wardens

Just a little update to inform you that Ebony Vincent, (pictured next to me on the left) who was nominated for an award at the National Street Wardens awards back in August, beat hundreds of street wardens from all over the country to become the 2006 “Street Warden of the Year!”

Harry Cohen MP and I are absolutely delighted Continue reading “It’s Official: They really are the best in the world!”

Rosh Hashanah Greetings to You

I would like to wish my Jewish readers “l’shanah tova u’m’tukah” – a good and sweet new year.

Rosh Hashanah 5767 begins at sunset this Friday evening, and ends at sunset on Sunday.

It marks the beginning of the “Yamim Noraim” (Days of Awe) – the most holy and solemn period in the Jewish calendar, culminating with Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) on 2 October.

Whatever you’re doing to celebrate, I hope you have a very good time 🙂

Go Go Mighty Warriors!

The Beaumont's Mighty Warriors thrase their opposition!

Today I had the great pleasure of attending a kids’ football tournament arranged by the fantastic Leyton street wardens.

The Street Wardens arranged for children from estates all over the borough to get together for a kick about with other wardens and kids from outside Waltham Forest.

Seventeen teams of children aged between eight and twelve years old participated in the tournament, which was the culmination of football training that the wardens had put on for Leyton’s kids during their school holidays. Continue reading “Go Go Mighty Warriors!”